Roasted beetroot & goats cheese salad
Slow cooked pork belly and hasselback potatoes
Summery berry tart
To start: Roasted beetroot and goats cheese salad, with caramelised onion dressing (recipe to follow)
A few weren’t a fan of the beetroot. At least they tried…
Main: Slow cooked pork belly with braised fennel (Jamie Oliver)
The pork skin broke off into shards of crackling, but ended up being a bit too chewy. However, the pork was cooked to melt-in-your mouth perfection.
Dessert: Summer fruit flan (Nigella Lawson)
Roasted Beetroot and Goats Cheese Salad
- 2 cups salad greens washed and spun dry
- 150g soft goats cheese
- 4 small or 2 large beetroot
- 75g crushed walnuts
- 4 slices crusty bread Dressing
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Wrap each beetroot in foil, place the foil globes on a baking tray and bake for 30-45 mins until tender (check by carefully unwrapping – watch out for the steam – and piercing the beet with a skewer. If the skewer can penetrate through without much resistance, it’s ready).
- While the beetroot is baking, lay walnuts in a single layer on a baking tray. Bake for 5-10 minutes on the bottom shelf until golden. Allow to cool, crumble the nuts roughly and set aside.
- Remove the beets from the oven, and loosely unwrap (again, watch out for the steam!). Leave to cool on tray. Once it’s cool enough to handle, unwrap and peel the beetroot (skin should easily rub off). Slice into wedges and set aside (use plastic gloves otherwise your hands will be stained a delicious beetroot pink).
- In a small saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium low heat. Add the onions, stirring occasionally until softened and caramelised. Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the balsamic vinegar, giving the onions a final stir. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool.
- Onto 4 plates, lay a slice of bread. Crumble the goats cheese onto the bread slices.
- Transfer the lettuce leaves into a large mixing bowl. Toss the onion dressing through, ensuring the leaves are evenly coated with the balsamic. Add beetroot wedges and toss gently. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the dressed salad onto the goats cheese bread. Scatter the beetroot wedges and garnish with toasted walnuts. Serve immediately.